Personal profile

Biographical details

I undertook my undergraduate and graduate studies at the University of Oxford, obtaining a MPhys in Physics in 2007 and a DPhil in Theoretical Particle Physics in 2011. I was a postdoctoral researcher at the Institute for Particle Physics Phenomenology (IPPP) at Durham University (2011-2014), and at the GRAPPA Centre of Excellence at the University of Amsterdam (2014-2017). In 2017, I joined King’s College London as a STFC Ernest Rutherford Fellow and Proleptic Lecturer in the Department of Physics. I was promoted to Reader in Physics in 2022.

Research interests

By training, I am a theoretical particle physicist and my main research area is astroparticle physics. Roughly, this means that I am interested in topics at the interface of particle physics, astrophysics and cosmology.

In my research, I am trying to figure out properties of dark matter. Dark matter is a mysterious form of matter that is very abundant throughout the Universe. We now have evidence that about 85% of the matter in the Universe is dark matter. The rest, about 15%, is the normal matter that makes up stars, planets, universities and physicists.

I am a phenomenologist, which means that I like to work closely with experimental colleagues to analyse the implications of their data for theories of dark matter or to come up with new search strategies. Indeed, I have a strong track record of engaging in interdisciplinary collaborations with both theorists and experimentalists and I have collaborated with various researchers globally working on the AION, CRESST, CMS/ATLAS, LZ, NEWS-G, MIGDAL, and XENON experiments. I am currently the Physics leads within the AION and MIGDAL collaborations, and I serve as the Treasurer of the IoP’s AstroParticle Physics Group, the Chair for the Dark Matter UK network, and from 2018 to 2022, I was the theory representative on the STFC’s Particle-Astrophysics Advisory Panel.

Education/Academic qualification

Theoretical Physics, Doctor of Philosophy, Aspects of Dark Matter Phenomenology, University of Oxford

1 Oct 200730 Sept 2011

Award Date: 5 Jan 2012

Physics, Master in Science, University of Oxford

1 Oct 20034 Jul 2007

Award Date: 4 Jul 2007

External positions

GRAPPA Fellow, University of Amsterdam

1 Oct 20141 Mar 2017

Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Durham University

1 Oct 201130 Sept 2014


  • QC Physics
  • Particle Physics
  • Astroparticle Physics
  • Theoretical Physics
  • Dark Matter
  • Large Hadron Collider
  • Cosmology


Dive into the research topics where Christopher McCabe is active. These topic labels come from the works of this person. Together they form a unique fingerprint.
  • 1 Similar Profiles

Collaborations and top research areas from the last five years

Recent external collaboration on country/territory level. Dive into details by clicking on the dots or