Collaborative networking and support for medical physics development in low and middle income (LMI) countries

Slavik Tabakov, Magdalena Stoeva*

*Corresponding author for this work

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

2 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Medical physics is one of the key aspects of contemporary medicine, primarily focused on the safe and effective use of medical imaging and radiotherapy equipment. The number of medical physicists and their activities are directly related to the national/regional healthcare provision. The distribution of the medical physics workforce however is still very uneven—more than 70% of all medical physicists are in North America and Europe, serving the healthcare provision of about 1 billion people. The remaining 30% of medical physicists serve the healthcare provision of the rest of the world—serving about 6.5 billion people. A number of activities were taken by various teams and organisations to address this issue. The increase of quality of healthcare and the effectiveness of medical technology usage, lie in adequate education and training for medical physicists and engineers, who are the front-liners when it comes to dealing with technology in healthcare. To help LMI countries professional growth in the field of medical physics and technology, we developed an education and capacity building strategy, based on the revolutionary application of digital resources combined with experience sharing through large international network.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)963-969
Number of pages7
JournalHealth and Technology
Volume11
Issue number5
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Sept 2021

Keywords

  • Education and training
  • IUPESM
  • Low and middle income countries
  • Medical engineering
  • Medical physics

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Collaborative networking and support for medical physics development in low and middle income (LMI) countries'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this