Frailty in Parkinson's disease and its association with early dementia: A longitudinal study

Miguel Germán Borda, Mario Ulises Pérez-Zepeda, Alberto Jaramillo-Jimenez, K. Ray Chaudhuri, Diego Alejandro Tovar-Rios, Lindsay Wallace, Lucia Batzu, Kenneth Rockwood, Ole Bjørn Tysnes, Dag Aarsland, Guido Alves

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

4 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Introduction: Frailty is recognized as a clinical condition associated with increased vulnerability for developing negative health outcomes but has been little studied in patients with Parkinson's disease (PD). Here, we investigated the risk of frailty in de novo PD patients and its association with subsequent development of dementia. Methods: We conducted a three-year longitudinal population-based study of 192 drug-naive newly diagnosed PD patients and 172 controls (No-PD) matched for age, sex, and education. Frailty was measured using the frailty index (FI). Logistic regression models, adjusting for potential confounders, were conducted to assess the association between frailty at the time of PD diagnosis and the subsequent odds for developing PD dementia during follow-up. Results: The mean baseline FI score was higher in the PD (0.21 ± 0.10) than in the No-PD group (0.11 ± 0.07, p < 0.001). One-third of PD patients had high-FI (>0,25), compared to 5% in the no-PD group. Participants with PD had an increased risk to present frailty with an odds ratio (OR) of 6.68 (SE 2.70 IC 95% [3.15; 15.62], p-value
Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)51-57
Number of pages7
JournalParkinsonism & Related Disorders
Volume99
Early online date19 May 2022
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 1 Jun 2022

Keywords

  • Dementia
  • Frailty
  • Older adults
  • Parkinson's disease

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Frailty in Parkinson's disease and its association with early dementia: A longitudinal study'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this