King's College London

Research portal

King Edgar's Charter for Pershore (AD 972)

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Standard

King Edgar's Charter for Pershore (AD 972). / Stokes, Peter A.

In: Anglo-Saxon England, Vol. 37, 12.2008, p. 31 - 78.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Harvard

Stokes, PA 2008, 'King Edgar's Charter for Pershore (AD 972)', Anglo-Saxon England, vol. 37, pp. 31 - 78. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0263675109990159

APA

Stokes, P. A. (2008). King Edgar's Charter for Pershore (AD 972). Anglo-Saxon England, 37, 31 - 78. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0263675109990159

Vancouver

Stokes PA. King Edgar's Charter for Pershore (AD 972). Anglo-Saxon England. 2008 Dec;37:31 - 78. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0263675109990159

Author

Stokes, Peter A. / King Edgar's Charter for Pershore (AD 972). In: Anglo-Saxon England. 2008 ; Vol. 37. pp. 31 - 78.

Bibtex Download

@article{e5555df4bb574daba763849e64e6637b,
title = "King Edgar's Charter for Pershore (AD 972)",
abstract = "S 786 is one of the so-called Orthodoxorum charters, a group of documents which provide important evidence about the Anglo-Saxon chancery, the development of charters in the tenth century, and the history of Pershore Abbey and the tenth-century Benedictine reforms. The document has therefore received a great deal of attention over the past century or so, but this attention has been focussed on the surviving tenth-century single sheet, and so a second, significantly different version of the text has lain unnoticed. This second version is preserved in a copy made by John Joscelyn, Latin Secretary to Archbishop Matthew Parker. Among the material uniquely preserved in this copy are Old English charter bounds for Wyegate (GL), Cumbtune (Compton, GL?) and part of the bounds probably for Lydney (GL), as well as a reference to a grant by Bishop Werferth of Worcester. In this article both versions of the document are discussed and are published together for the first time, and a translation of the single sheet is provided. The history of the two versions is discussed in some detail, and the text of a twelfth-century letter which refers to the charter is also edited and translated. ",
author = "Stokes, {Peter A.}",
year = "2008",
month = dec,
doi = "10.1017/S0263675109990159",
language = "English",
volume = "37",
pages = "31 -- 78",
journal = "Anglo-Saxon England",
issn = "0263-6751",
publisher = "Cambridge University Press",

}

RIS (suitable for import to EndNote) Download

TY - JOUR

T1 - King Edgar's Charter for Pershore (AD 972)

AU - Stokes, Peter A.

PY - 2008/12

Y1 - 2008/12

N2 - S 786 is one of the so-called Orthodoxorum charters, a group of documents which provide important evidence about the Anglo-Saxon chancery, the development of charters in the tenth century, and the history of Pershore Abbey and the tenth-century Benedictine reforms. The document has therefore received a great deal of attention over the past century or so, but this attention has been focussed on the surviving tenth-century single sheet, and so a second, significantly different version of the text has lain unnoticed. This second version is preserved in a copy made by John Joscelyn, Latin Secretary to Archbishop Matthew Parker. Among the material uniquely preserved in this copy are Old English charter bounds for Wyegate (GL), Cumbtune (Compton, GL?) and part of the bounds probably for Lydney (GL), as well as a reference to a grant by Bishop Werferth of Worcester. In this article both versions of the document are discussed and are published together for the first time, and a translation of the single sheet is provided. The history of the two versions is discussed in some detail, and the text of a twelfth-century letter which refers to the charter is also edited and translated.

AB - S 786 is one of the so-called Orthodoxorum charters, a group of documents which provide important evidence about the Anglo-Saxon chancery, the development of charters in the tenth century, and the history of Pershore Abbey and the tenth-century Benedictine reforms. The document has therefore received a great deal of attention over the past century or so, but this attention has been focussed on the surviving tenth-century single sheet, and so a second, significantly different version of the text has lain unnoticed. This second version is preserved in a copy made by John Joscelyn, Latin Secretary to Archbishop Matthew Parker. Among the material uniquely preserved in this copy are Old English charter bounds for Wyegate (GL), Cumbtune (Compton, GL?) and part of the bounds probably for Lydney (GL), as well as a reference to a grant by Bishop Werferth of Worcester. In this article both versions of the document are discussed and are published together for the first time, and a translation of the single sheet is provided. The history of the two versions is discussed in some detail, and the text of a twelfth-century letter which refers to the charter is also edited and translated.

U2 - 10.1017/S0263675109990159

DO - 10.1017/S0263675109990159

M3 - Article

VL - 37

SP - 31

EP - 78

JO - Anglo-Saxon England

JF - Anglo-Saxon England

SN - 0263-6751

ER -

View graph of relations

© 2020 King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS | England | United Kingdom | Tel +44 (0)20 7836 5454